The ESXi server installation is straightforward, at this initial stage all we need to do is get the hypervisor installed, give it an IP address and password before proceeding with the various steps for the vCenter Server install. Follow the steps to start installing your Esxi-5.1.x server.
1. Check the server hardware you are installing ESXi 5.1 onto is supported and on the VMware HCL.
2. Download the VMware ESXi 5 ISO file from the VMware download area.
3. Burn the ESXi 5.1 ISO to a CD.
4. Disconnect all Fibre Channel connections (if any) and boot the server from the CD.
5. Boot from CD and Select “ESXi-5.1.0-799733-Standard-Installer” as shown below.
6. When ready to install press “Enter”
7. Read and accept the license agreement, press F11 to accept.
8. Select the correct storage device to install ESXi on and press “Enter”
NOTE: Ensure it is not a fibre channel (FC) VMFS datastore!
9. Select the keyboard layout and press Enter.
10. Enter a password for the “root” account. Press Enter.
11. Press F11 to start installing ESXi.
12. Once the installation is complete press Enter to reboot the ESXi server.
13. Once the ESXi server has booted it will receive a DHCP lease (if applicable) you can now manage this with the vSphere client or continue to set a static IP for management
14. Hit F2 and enter your root username and password.
15. Select “Configure management network”
16. Select “IP Configuration”
17. Change to “Static IP”. Enter your IP address, mask and gateway and hit Enter.
18. Press escape [ESC] to got back to the main menu. You will be asked “Apply changes and restart management network?” say yes [Y]
19. You will now see you static IP address is set and you can now manage this with the vSphere client.