When vMotion Migration process occurs following background activities occurs:
- When the vMotion Migration is initiated the virtual Machine’s memory is being copied from the source ESX/ESXi Server to the destination ESX/ESXi Server over the vMotion Network. The users will continue to have the access to the virtual machine, and the users updated memory pages would be stored in a bitmap image.
- Once the active memory pages are being copied to the destination that the virtual machine will be quiesced for a couple of seconds to copy the bitmap image to the destination ESX/ESXi server.
- When the virtual machine is quiesced and the bitmap image is copied to the destination ESX/ESXi, the virtual machine continues to run on the destination host.
- The RARP notifies the subnet that the Virtual Machine MAC address has been connected to the new switch port.
- Once the bitmap image is copied from the source to the destination ESXi host, the memory pages at the source ESXi would be freed.